Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 15 - Bible Bites

I would be disappointed in myself for going an entire week without posting a blog entry...but the fact that I survived this week was a feat in itself! I spent most of the week trying to adjust to working a lot more hours than I am used to. I was surprised to be reminded that I function so much more efficiently when I have no choice!

The week did take it's toll though. I spent most of the day today in bed after working on my feet for 8 hours last night with a fever. And, just so everyone knows that I really was sick, Macy's started their going out of business sale today, and I didn't even go! Clearance sales almost make me hyperventilate with excitement. I would probably buy just about anything when it's 60% off, plus an additional 25% off, plus a $10 off coupon!

Oddly enough, I still ended up being very productive today. I guess that's one of the benefits of working from home on a computer. It doesn't take a whole lot of energy, and I can wear my pajamas and leave my hair "scary", as my son would say. The only thing that I found disappointing this week was that I felt a little distant from God.

I was driving through Loose Caboose the other day for some coffee, because as usual, I felt that it was necessary to have caffeine to make up for my lack of sleep. I feel like that almost every day.(Loose Caboose knows my order when I pull up) Sleep is something I don't like to give up. If being in shape meant I had to get up at 5:30 a.m. to exercise, I probably wouldn't be in shape. If I had to get up at 4 a.m. to work, I'd probably end up getting fired. Sleep is a precious commodity as a parent. I guess that's why it seems so challenging to ever have any "quiet time" as a single mom. The only time it's quiet is when they are sleeping, and then I want to sleep too!

I was reading a book written to mothers of preschoolers, and it encouraged parents to take "Bible bites". It was such a great word picture for me because I love to snack. In fact, anything that gets left out gets eaten. I certainly prescribe to the "see-food diet". Anyway, it made me realize that it's not impossible to spend little bits of time with God throughout the day. It doesn't have to be at 5 a.m. before the kids wake up or for hours after they go to bed. I really just want to work on being more aware of God's presence throughout my day. Maybe I can trade my facebook time to have a little Bible bite! Snack away!

No comments:

Post a Comment