Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 14 - Skinny Jeans are an Oxymoron

Well, I just have "jock thighs". I've come to appreciate them over the years, but I do still have bad days. It's one thing when I'm at the gym and the squat rack is loaded with 45s and I ask the guy if I can work in. It earns me a little respect. It's another thing when I'm hopping on one leg in the TJ Maxx dressing room trying to figure out how to get off the suctioned lycra blend that seems to be clinging to my ankles like a boa constrictor. I need to find some music to type this blog too..."My humps" maybe? (Btw...I settled on "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamikawiwo'ole. Try saying that 5 times fast!)

Anyway, it's January and the gym is about to be overwhelmed with best-intentioned resolutioners. One of my friends posted on her facebook page today that she couldn't wait until everyone broke their resolution so she could get back to her own routine! LOL. I know how you feel- It gets so crowded! Even with the crowds, working out is great, and it's a wonderful outlet for me, but I haven't always been content with my body, and I still struggle with it occasionally. This morning in church the pastor talked about making resolutions this year that weren't "us-focused". It made me realize that a lot of the time I am too "me-focused".

I would really love to resolve to lose 10 pounds. It's not something I need to do for my health or anything, it's just vanity. Earlier, as I was trying to shimmy into my skinny jeans, I started laughing at the irony of what I was doing. I have always hated skinny jeans, but it's THE FAD! It's worn down on me so much that I caved and started shopping for some. I'll admit that I own a pair, but you will NEVER see me walking around in them without boots up to my knees (see jock thighs). Why do we run around trying to be thinner, more attractive, more in-style? I've been learning that it's really the heart of the matter that counts. I don't think there's anything wrong with being healthy or dressing attractively. But what is driving the resolution we're chasing? Is it too "me-focused"?

I feel like I'm starting to tune out anything anyone says about resolutions because it gets so old hearing about them. We all know only a very small percentage of people keep them anyway, right? Someone in church this morning gave me a great idea. I remember listening to a pastor last year say that every year he simply resolves to be more like Jesus. I like the idea of that because it seems a lot more likely that God can change me than that I will do it of my own determination. I decided that on the blank days of the beginning of my calendar, I'm going to write down a couple of areas that need work in my life. That way, at the end of the year I can look back and see how God has helped me grow. One of the things I've already written down is that I am going to do whatever I have to to make sure I tithe on all of my income. I'm excited to see God work.

Tomorrow when I'm at the gym, I'm can smile at the crowds. I'm going to keep my resolution, because it isn't "me-focused", and the Big Man is on my side! ;-) " After all, if God is for us, who can be against us?

No comments:

Post a Comment