Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 16 - Potty-Training & Tax Season

Being a mom is soooooo glamorous. It's tough to say what makes it so. I'd say it's a toss-up between being constantly slimed with food and cleaning the pee off the wall from your son's newly-found weapon. Someone told me to put cheerios in the toilet to help him aim. No dice. Amusing, however.

When I started this blog, I desperately needed something to occupy my time. Now, I'm finding that I just need... TIME! It's tax season, and I got thrown in the water and I'm trying not to drown! I even feel almost a little guilty writing right now, because there are three mounds of papers on my desk that are screaming for my attention!

It's funny, because when I started this blog, I imagined so much! I titled it "A Single Mom's 30 day Journey to Rediscovering God", but it's been more like "A Single Mom's Journey to Discovering She is not Superwoman...Dangit!". I was so hopeful. I've learned a lot about my shortcomings through this process, and I've also learned a lot about God's grace. One thing that I've learned more than anything is that days add up really quickly. Time really does fly. All of a sudden months have gone by and those things we keep meaning to do just slip through the cracks.

I'm really worn out today. What's new? It seems like there are too many things left on my "to-do" list that just didn't get checked off, and then I feel like I have to "check-off" my time with God. I laughed when I read the title for the daily reading in My Utmost for His Highest : "Are you fresh for everything?" It amazes me how profound Oswald Chambers can be in so few words.

Freshness does not come from obedience but from the Holy Spirit; obedience keeps us in the light as God is in the light. Guard jealously your relationship to God. Keep all the life perennially open to Jesus Christ, don't pretend with Him. Are you drawing your life from any other source than God Himself? If you are depending upon anything but Him, you will never know when He is gone. Being born of the Spirit means much more than we generally take it to mean. It gives us a new vision and keeps us absolutely fresh for everything by the perennial supply of the life of God.

Wow. I don't know about you, but I need some of that freshness. I'm glad I can just ask for it. Maybe it will help with the pee smell too. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment